SEO Meta templates are designed to automatically generate META information for catalog pages based on predefined rules. By META information are meant meta title, meta description, H1 header and meta keywords (deprecated tag)
Meta Templates can be applied for following pages: Category page (product listing), Layered navigation pages and Product pages.
It’s not a problem to manually fill meta information for few dozen products and categories.
In other hand, if you have few thousand products it can be nightmare.
Moreover you can’t configure meta tags for layered navigation pages, Magento 2 just doesn’t have such functionality.
Another case are new products. SEO templates can be applied only for products without manually meta information. By this way, you adjust meta for each product one by one and meta templates are applied only for “pending” products.
Additionally you can use different meta templates for different product (rules by product attributes, categories etc)
How to create meta template
- Go to Marketing → Advanced SEO Suite → Templates
- First of all, you need choose template type. There are 3 template types available:
- Layered Navigation (category page with applied filter)
- Then you need fill few additional (internal) fields, like Internal Name, Store Views etc
- Key fields in meta template are: Meta Title, Meta Keywords, Meta Description and Title (H1). For these fields, you can use extended syntax that well described in extension user manual.
- Additionally, in Conditions section you can configure rules for apply this templates (specific brand or category, color etc)
Few words about priority of applying meta tags
Extension apply meta tags in following priority:
- Highest priority: Product or Category meta information (filled in product card)
- Medium priority: Custom Meta Rewrites that configured for specific URL
- Lowest priority: Meta Template
If some tag is empty (meta title for example) in product card, then extension will use meta title from rewrite or from meta template.