SEO Meta templates are designed to automatically generate META information for catalog pages based on predefined rules. By META information are meant meta title, meta description, H1 header and meta keywords (deprecated tag)
Meta Templates can be applied for the following pages: Category page (product listing), Layered navigation pages and Product pages.
It’s not a problem to manually fill meta-information for a few dozen products and categories.
On the other hand, if you have a few thousand products it can be a nightmare.
Moreover, you can’t configure meta tags for layered navigation pages, Magento 2 just doesn’t have such functionality.
Another case is new products. SEO templates can be applied only for products without manually meta information. In this way, you adjust meta for each product one by one and meta templates are applied only for “pending” products.
Additionally, you can use different meta templates for different product (rules by product attributes, categories, etc)
How to create meta template
- Go to Marketing → Advanced SEO Suite → Templates
- First of all, you need to choose a template type. There are 3 template types available:
- Layered Navigation (category page with applied filter)
- Then you need to fill a few additional (internal) fields, like Internal Name, Store Views, etc
- Key fields in meta template are Meta Title, Meta Keywords, Meta Description and Title (H1). For these fields, you can use extended syntax that well described in the extension user manual.
- Additionally, in Conditions section, you can configure rules for applying these templates (specific brand or category, color, etc)
Few words about priority of applying meta tags
The extension applies meta tags in the following priority:
- Highest priority: Product or Category meta-information (filled in product card)
- Medium priority: Custom Meta Rewrites that configured for specific URL
- Lowest priority: Meta Template
If some tag is empty (meta title for example) in product card, then the extension will use meta title from rewrite or from meta template.